National Historic Landmarks ** 1. ««* tn the 1976 Listings National Historic Landmarks A Preservation Program of the National Park Service Supplement to the 1976 Listings Historic Sites Survey Office of Archeology and Historic Preservation National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior Washington, D.C. 1977 Note on arrangement of entries In this listing of the national historic landmarks, the following format is used. The historic name of the land- mark is given with its location and the historic date or historical period involved. This is followed by a short statement on the significance of the property. The final date given is that on which the property was designated as a national historic landmark by the Secretary of the Interior. This supplement includes all designations as of January 1, 1977. Cover: Watchtower, Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, Texas. Alabama CLAYTON, HENRY D., HOUSE, 1 mi. S. of Clayton, Barbour County, c. 1850. Residence (1857-1929) of the author of the Clayton Anti-Trust Act of 1914, an attempt to strengthen the Sherman Act. Advocate of judi- cial reform. December 8, 1976. MONTGOMERY UNION STATION AND TRAIN- SHED, Water and Lee Streets, Montgomery, Montgomery County. 1897-1898. An excellent example of late 1 9th century commercial architecture, the Montgomery Un ion Station is most significant for its trainshed which illustrates the adaptation of bridge building techniques to shelter struc- tures, an important step in the history of American engineering. December 8, 1976. Arizona FORT HUACHUCA, Fort Huachuca, Cochise County. 1882-1891. Installation central to the campaign to capture famed Indian leader Geronimo. Headquarters of all-black regiments from 1892 to 1900 and again 1928 to 1942. May 11, 1976. California HEARST SAN SIMEON ESTATE, San Simeon, San Luis Obispo County. 1922-1951. Residence of William Randolph Hearst who, along with Joseph Pulitzer, was a leading practitioner of "yellow journalism." With his press sensationalism he built an empire of 37 newspapers and an influential news network. May 11, 1976. HUBBLE, EDWIN, HOUSE, 1340 Woodstock Road, San Marino, San Marino County. 1925. Home of one of America's greatest 20th century astronomers who, among other accomplishments, discovered extragalactic nebulae and their recession from each other. December 8, 1976. MARE ISLAND NAVAL SHIPYARD, Vallejo, Solano County. 1854. U.S. Navy's first permanent installation on the Pacific Coast, it sym- bolizes the Nation's effort to extend its power into the Pacific Ocean. The first U.S. warship (1859) and first drydock (1872-91) con- structed on the West Coast. May 15, 1975. Connecticut CHITTENDEN, RUSSELL HENRY, HOUSE, 83 Trum- bull Street, New Haven, New Haven County. 1880's. Often called the father of American biochemistry, as director of Yale's Sheffield Scientific School contributed to establishing biochemistry as a major biological discipline. May 15, 1975. FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST, Farmington, Hartford County. 1771. As the center of the community life of the Amistad captives after their famous 1840-1841 trial, the First Church of Christ commemorates the importance of this famous trial in the history of the abolition move- ment. December 8, 1976. MENDEL, LAFAYETTE B., HOUSE, 18 Trumbull Street, New Haven, New Haven County. 1880's. Home of the distinguished early 20th century Yale biochemist who contributed to the identification of vitamins and who performed pioneering research on proteins and nutrition in general. January 7, 1976. MORLEY, EDWARD W., HOUSE, 26 Westland Ave- nue, West Hartford, Hartford County. 1906. Home of the chemist Edward W. Morley who in 1887 collaborated with Albert A. Michelson in measuring the speed of light and who in 1895 determined the atomic weights of hydrogen and oxygen. May 15, 1975. NORTON, CHARLES H., HOUSE, 132 Redstone Hill, Plainville, Hartford County. 1922. Later-day home of the inventor of heavy duty precision grinding ma- chines which have become integral to modern industrial technology. May 11, 1976. District of Columbia ABBE, CLEVELAND, HOUSE, 2017 I Street, N.W., Washington. 1805. Over 30 years residence of a prominent 19th century meteorologist known as the father of the United States Weather Service. May 15, 1975. BAKER, NEWTON D., HOUSE, 3017 N Street, N.W., Washington. 1794. Residence (1916-1920) of one of the finest Secretaries of Wa r; he pre- sided over the Nation's World War I mobilization. Prime proponent of the Wilson concept of world involvement during the 1920 's. December 8, 1976. CONNECTICUT / DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA BORAH, WILLIAM E., APARTMENT, WINDSOR LODGE, 2139-2141, Wyoming Avenue, N.W., Wash- ington, c. 1913. Residence (1913-1929) of leading Republican progressive. He was the most powerful force in foreign affairs during the 1 920 's. Leader of the irreconcilables who defeated President Wilson's League of Nations. December 8, 1976. BRUCE, BLANCHE K., HOUSE, 909 M Street, N.W., Washington. 1865. As Senator from Mississippi, Bruce was the first black American to serve a full term in the United States Senate (1875-1881). May 1 5, 1975. CARY, MARY ANN SHADD, HOUSE, 1421 W Street, N.W., Washington. Date unknown. Home of the first black female journalist who lectured widely in the cause of abolition and who after the Civil War became the first black female lawyer. December 8, 1976. COUES, ELLIOTT, HOUSE, 1726 N Street, N.W., Washington. 1880's. Home of a leading 1 9th century ornithologist whose studies greatly ex- panded the knowledge of North American bird life. May 15, 1975. GRIMKE, CHAROLETTE FORTEN, HOUSE, 1608 R Street, N.W., Washington, c. 1880. Home of a pioneer black educator best known for her work among the black community of Port Royal, South Carolina, between 1862 and 1864. May 11, 1976. JOHNSON, HIRAM W., HOUSE, 122 Maryland Ave- nue, N.E., Washington, c. 1810. Residence (l 929-4 7) of a leading voice of the Progressive movement. Called for the formation of the Progressive Party in 1912. As Gover- nor of California he had adopted more progressive legislation than elsewhere in the Nation. December 8, 1976. ANDREW MELLON BUILDING, 1785 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W., Washington, c. 1906. Residence (1 922-3 7) of millionaire industrialist and Secretary of the Treasury from 1921 to 1932, the longest cabinet tenure since Albert Gallatin. Authored the "Mellon Plan" which stimulated the economic boom of the 1920's. May 11, 1976. SAINT LUKE'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH, 15th and Church Streets, N.W., Washington. 1879. Church founded and led by Alexander Crummell, 1 9th century black leader who early espoused the necessity for blacks to cultivate an edu- cated cadre that would lead black Americans to civil rights and equality. May 11, 1976. TERRELL, MARY CHURCH, HOUSE, 326 T Street, N.W., Washington. 1907. Residence of the civil rights leader who achieved national prominence as the first president of the National Association of Colored Women. May 15, 1975. DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA / FLORIDA UNDERWOOD, OSCAR W., HOUSE, 2000 G Street, N.W., Washington. 19th century. Residence (1914-25) of House Democratic leader after the 1910 election and Democratic presidential contender in 1912. Author of what has been called the most equitable tariff since 1861 — the Underwood-Simmons Tariff of 1913. December 8, 1976. U.S. MARINE CORPS BARRACKS AND COM- MANDANT'S HOUSE, 801 G Street, S.E., Washington. 1903, 1907; 1801-1934. Nation's oldest continuously active Marine Corps installation. Corps headquarters from 1801 to 1901. Home of the Marine Band, the official White House musical unit. May 11, 1976. WASHINGTON NAVY YARD, 8th and M Streets, S.E., Washington. 1800-1910. The Nation's first yard and first home port. Center for early 19th cen- tury naval operations during a critical period of expanding na- tionalism. May 11, 1976. WHITE, DAVID, HOUSE, 1459 Girard Street, N.W., Washington. 1890 / s. Home of distinguished United States Geological Survey geologist best remembered as a leading expert on the origin and evolution of coal and as the author of a theory of oil distribution basic to the petroleum in- dustry. January 7 , 1976. WOODSON, CARTER G., HOUSE, 1538 Ninth Street, N.W., Washington, c. 1890. Home of the founder of black history studies in the United States; Woodson guided the establishment of the Association for the Study of Negro Life and the "Journal of Negro History." May 11, 1976. WOODSON, ROBERT SIMPSON, HOUSE, 1513 16th Street, N.W., Washington. 1880's. Washington home of a leading late 1 9th century geologist and mathe- matician who was the first president of the Carnegie Institution. January 7, 1976. Florida BRITISH FORT, six miles southwest of Sumatra, Frank- lin County. 1814. Place where runaway slaves lived alongside Seminole Indians which, when destroyed in 1816, precipitated the First Seminole War. May 15, 1975. PENSACOLA NAVAL AIR STATION HISTORIC DIS- TRICT, Pensacola, Escambia County. 1914-1919. United States' first permanent naval air station, first navy pilot train- ing center, and first naval installation to send pilots into combat. December 8, 1976. FLORIDA / GEORGIA TAMPA BAY HOTEL, 401 West Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa, Hillsborough County. 1888-1891. Headquarters of the army that invaded Cuba in the Spanish- American War. News center for journalists participating in the "Correspondents' War." Hotel was a pioneering effort in the Florida resort business. Excellent example of Moorish-Turkish Revival archi- tecture. May 11, 1976. Georgia CENTRAL OF GEORGIA DEPOT AND TRAINSHED, West Broad Street at Liberty, Savannah, Chatham County. 1860-1866, 1876 Early attempt to build a comprehensive railroad terminal and shop complex. The trainshed is the oldest remaining example of early iron roof construction, the first step in the evolution of modern steel building methods. December 8, 1976. FOX THEATRE, 660 Peachtree Street, Atlanta, Fulton County. 1929, Mayre, Alger and Vinour. Known as "The Fabulous Fox," designed in Mid-Eastern style, it is one of the great movie palaces of the 1920's era. May 11, 1976. GRADY, HENRY W., HOUSE, 634 Prince Avenue, Athens, Clarke County, c. 1845. Home (1863-1872) of a major proponent of national reconciliation during the post-Civil War era. Delivered his famous "New South" speech in 1886 in New York City. May 11, 1976. GREEN-MELDRIM HOUSE, Bull and Harvis Streets, Madison Square, Savannah, Chatham County. 1850- 1854, John S. Norris. Built for the Green family, Gothic Revival in style, it was General Sherman's headquarters from 1864-1865. May 11, 1976. OWENS-THOMAS HOUSE, 125 Abercorn Street, Savannah, Chatham county. 1816-1819. English Regency in style, beautifully furnished, the house was designed by William jay. May 11, 1976. SWEET AUBURN HISTORIC DISTRICT, Atlanta, Ful- ton County. Early 20th century. As the center of black economic, social, and cultural activities in Atlanta from the 1890's to the 1930's, the Sweet Auburn District reflects an important element in the life of the Afro-American com- munity in a segregated South. December 8, 1976. TELFAIR ACADEMY OF ARTS AND SCIENCES, 121 Barnard Street, Telfair Square, Savannah, Chatham County. 1818-1820, Museum conversion in 1880 / s, William Jay and Carl N. Brandt. An early Southeastern museum that combines the 1818 house with the later museum wing. May 11, 1976. GEORGIA / HAWAII / ILLINOIS WATSON, THOMAS E., HOUSE, 310 Lumpkin Street, Thompson, McDuffie County, c. 1875. Watson was a principal founder of the Populist Party and first to urge a united front between white and black farmers. Embitter -ment from defeat at the polls in 1892 and 1 896, led to a reversal of his progres- sive racial attitudes and gave him an important following of Southern rural whites. May 11, 1976. Hawaii KALAUPAPA LEPROSY SETTLEMENT, Molokai Island, Kalowao County. 1866. Location of Hawaii's well-known leprosarium where the Belgian priest Father Joseph Damien, ministered to the lepers and gained worldwide fame. January 7, 1976. Illinois ABBOTT, ROBERT S., HOUSE, 4742 Martin Luther King Drive, Chicago, Cook County. Date unknown. Home of the founder of the "Chicago Defender," a leading black news- paper, and a man called the founder of the modern Negro press. December 8, 1976. AUDITORIUM BUILDING, 430 South Michigan Ave- nue, Chicago, Cook County. 1889. Now the property of Roosevelt University, it is the work of Adlerand Sullivan and is one of the most important buildings in the history of modern architecture. May 15, 1975. CARSON, PIRIE SCOTT AND COMPANY STORE, State and Madison Streets, Chicago, Cook County. 1899, 1904-1906. A dry goods palace designed by Louis Sullivan in an original and practical form. Addition by Daniel H. Burnham. May 15, 1975. COMPTON, ARTHUR H., HOUSE, 5637 Woodlawn Avenue, Chicago, Cook County. 1916. Residence of the distinguished physicist who, while at the University of Chicago, discovered the "Compton Effect" for which he received the 1927 Nobel Prize in physics. May 11, 1976. DANA, SUSAN LAWRENCE, HOUSE, 301 Lawrence Avenue, Springfield, Sangamon County. 1902-1906. One of the masterpieces of Frank Lloyd Wright's early period; it still contains much of its original furniture and stained glass. January 7, 1976. ILLINOIS DAVIS, DAVID, HOUSE, 1000 E. Monroe Street, Bloomington, McLean County. 1870. Associate Justice of the Supreme Court David Davis wrote the ma- jority opinion in ex parte Milligan limiting military jurisdiction in civilian affairs. May 15, 1975. DAWES, CHARLES G., HOUSE, 225 Greenwood Street, Evanston, Cook County. 1894. Residence (1909-1951) of the 1925 winner of the Nobel Peace Prize for the Dawes Plan — a rational schedule of World War 1 reparations to be paid by Germany. First Director of the Budget, he put the Bud- get Bureau on a sound basis. December 8, 1976. DEPRIEST, OSCAR STANTON, HOUSE, 4536-4538 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Drive, Chicago, Cook County. 1920's. Residence of the first black American elected to the House of Represen- tatives from a Northern State (1928-1935). May 15, 1975. DU SABLE, JEAN BAPTISTE POINT, HOMESITE, 401 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Cook County. 1779. Site of the home of the black fur trader and pioneer whose establish- ment of a trading post at this location marked the beginning of the city of Chicago. May 11, 1976. GLESSNER, JOHN J., HOUSE, 1800 Prairie Avenue, Chicago, Cook County. 1885-1887. Designed by Henry Hobson Richardson late in his career, it was com- missioned by John Glessner, President of International Harvester. January 7, 1976. KENNICOTT GROVE, Glenview, Cook County. 1856. Home of Robert Kennicott, mid-1 9th century naturalist, explorer, and founder of the Chicago Academy of Sciences, whose career illus- trates the spread of scientific interest and activity to the Midwest. January 7, 1976. LEITER II BUILDING, South State and East Congress Streets, Chicago, Cook County. 1889-1891. Now Sears, Roebuck and Company, this building is the masterpiece of William Le Baron Jenny. January 7, 1976. LILLIE, FRANK R., HOUSE, 5801 Kenwood Avenue, Chicago, Cook County. 1904. Forty-three year home of the distinguished University of Chicago embryologist, Woods Hole Marine Biological Laboratory director, and National Academy of Sciences president. May 11, 1976. MARQUETTE BUILDING, 140 South Dearborn Street, Chicago, Cook County. 1893-1894. William Holabird and Martin Roche, architects, made their first decisive statement on a new concept in building — steel framing. January 7, 1976. MILLIKAN, ROBERT A., HOUSE, 5605 Woodlawn Avenue, Chicago, Cook County. 1907. One of America's best known 20th century scientists, Millikan ILLINOIS / INDIANA received the 1923 Nobel Prize in physics for his work in proving the existence of electrons. May 11, 1976. RELIANCE BUILDING, 32 North State Street, Chicago, Cook County. 1890-1895, Burnham and Root. This "Chicago School" building is one of the key monuments in the development of modern architecture. January 7, 1976. ROOKERY BUILDING, 209 South LaSalle Street, Chicago, Cook County. 1886-1888. One of the last great masonry structures of the 1 9th century, designed by Daniel Burnham and John W. Root. May 15, 1975. SOUTH DEARBORN STREET-PRINTING HOUSE ROW NORTH HISTORIC DISTRICT, Jackson Boulevard, Plymouth and Federal Courts, Dearborn and Congress Streets, Chicago, Cook County. The district includes the Manhattan (1891), the Fisher (1896), the Old Colony (1894), and the Monadnock (1880-1891) buildings. The group form a district illustrating the "Chicago School" of architecture. The Monadnock is a triumph of unified design called "classic" by critics. January 7, 1976. TRUMBULL, LYMAN, HOUSE, 1105 Henry Street, Alton, Madison County, c. 1849. An arch-opponent of the Radical Republicans, Trumbull sponsored much Reconstruction legislation including the Confiscation Acts, Freedmen's Bureau Bill of 1866, and the Civil Rights Act of 1866. May 15, 1975. WILLIAMS, DANIEL HALE, HOUSE, 445 East 42nd Street, Chicago, Cook County. 1905. Home of one of America's first black surgeons, among whose accom- plishments were one of the first successful heart operations in 1893 and the establishment of quality medical facilities for blacks. May 15, 1975. WRIGHT, FRANK LLOYD, HOME AND STUDIO, 428 Forest Avenue and 951 Chicago Avenue, Oak Park, Cook County. 1889-1898. Built and rebuilt, it is here that Wright lived and practiced in the "First Golden Age" of his long career. January 7, 1976. Indiana WALLACE, GENERAL LEW, STUDY, Pike Street and Wallace Avenue, Crawfordsville, Montgomery County. 1895-98. Used by the author of Ben Hur from 1898 to 1905. As a Union general he played an important part at the victory of Fort Donelson and the action at Monocacy, Md. During Reconstruction he was an influential progressive Republican. May 11, 1976. Iowa HEPBURN, WILLIAM P., HOUSE, 321 West Lincoln Street, Clarinda, Page County, c. 1867. Residence (c. 1867-c. 1916) of Congressman who introduced the Hepburn Act (1906) giving the government the power to set railroad rates — a precedent in Federal control of private industry . December 8, 1976. MERCHANTS' NATIONAL BANK, Fourth Avenue and Broad Street, Grinnell, Poweshiek County. 1914. One of the best preserved of the small banks designed by Louis Sulli- van late in his career. January 7, 1976. OLD CAPITOL, Campus center, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Johnson County. 1842-1846. Iowa's first permanent capiiol although built as the third territorial capitol. Designed by ]ohn F. Rague. January 7, 1976. VAN ALLEN AND COMPANY DEPARTMENT STORE, Fifth Avenue and South Second Street, Clin- ton, Clinton County. 1913-1915. One of the dwindling number of buildings by Louis Sullivan in the Midwest; done at the end of his career. January 7, 1976. WEAVER, JAMES B., HOUSE, Weaver Park Road, Bloomfield, Davis County, c. 1865. Long-time home of the Populist candidate for President and anti- monopolist. Proponent of the graduated income tax and a principal sponsor of free coinage of silver. May 15, 1975. Kansas NATION, CARRY A., HOUSE, 211 West Fowler Ave- nue, Medicine Lodge, Barber County, c. 1882. Residence (1889-1902) of saloon-destroying hatchet wielder who be- came the formost symbol of a reinvigorated prohibition movement during the turn of the 20th century. May 11, 1976. NICODEMUS HISTORIC DISTRICT, Nicodemus, Graham County. 1877. Only remaining town of the black "Exoduster" movement out of the South to the Midwest in the hope of finding a better life. January 7, 1976. KANSAS / LOUISIANA / MAINE / MARYLAND WHITE, WILLIAM ALLEN, HOUSE, 927 Exchange Street, Emporia, Lyon County, c. 1887. Home (1899-1944) of internationally renowned journalist and author whose writings had a marked effect on the political and social life of the country. His book The Old Order Changeth (1910) expressed the dominant view of the progressive movement. May 1 1, 1976. Louisiana UNITED STATES MINT, NEW ORLEANS BRANCH, 420 Esplanade Avenue, New Orleans, Orleans Parish. 1835-1861, William Strickland. This branch mint is the Nation s oldest unreconstructed extant mint in its original location. May 15, 1975. WHITE, EDWARD DOUGLAS, HOUSE, 5 mi. N. of Thibodaux Lafourche Parish, c. 1790. Residence (1 845-1921) of Associate and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court (1894-1 92 1) who wrote over 700 opinions. His greatest im- pact was made with his "rule of reason" in the enforcement of anti- trust cases. December 8, 1976. Maine REED, THOMAS B., HOUSE, 30-32 Deering Street, Portland, Cumberland County. 1876. Residence (1888-1902) of "Czar Reed," powerful Speaker of the House, who in 1890 reformed House procedures with the "Reed Rules." May 15, 1975. Maryland McCOLLUM, ELMER V., HOUSE, 2301 Monticello Road, Baltimore, Baltimore County, c. 1920. Residence of a Johns Hopkins biochemist who discovered vitamins A, B, and D and outlined the roles vitamins play in nutrition. January 7, 1976. MOUNT ROYAL STATION AND TRAINSHED, 1400 Cathedral Street, Baltimore City. 1894-1896. One of the last gable roof trainsheds built in the United States, the Mount Royal Station is an excellent example of the harmonious blend- ing of engineering and aesthetic values. December 8, 1976. 10 MARYLAND / MASSACHUSETTS REMSEN, IRA, HOUSE, 214 Monument Street, Balti- more, Baltimore County. 1880's. As researcher, as author of widely used chemistry textbooks, and as President of Johns Hopkins University, Remsen was a major influ- ence in American science at the turn of the century. May 15, 1975. ROWLAND, HENRY AUGUST, HOUSE, 915 Cathedral Street, Baltimore, Baltimore County. 1880's. Home of America's best known and most accomplished 19th century physicist. May 15, 1975. WELCH, WILLIAM HENRY, HOUSE, 935 St. Paul Street, Baltimore, Baltimore County. lSStfs. From 1891 to 1908 the home of the distinguished Johns Hopkins pro- fessor who transformed American medical research and teaching and became known as the dean of American medical science. January 7, 1976. Massachusetts BALDWIN, MARIA, HOUSE, 196 Prospect Street, Cambridge, Middlesex County. 1840 / s. Home of an outstanding black educator who as Master of Cam- bridge's Agassiz School established a national reputation. May 11, 1976. BIRKHOFF, GEORGE D., HOUSE, 22 Craigie, Cam- bridge, Middlesex County. 1890's. Residence of the leading American mathematician during the first quarter of the 20th century. May 15, 1975. BRIDGMAN, PERCY W., HOUSE, 10 Buckingham Place, Cambridge, Middlesex County, c. 1920. Distinguished teacher and physicist who in 1946 received the Nobel Prize for his invention of an apparatus for obtaining very high pres- sures and for his discoveries in the field of high pressure physics. May 15, 1975. COUNT RUMFORD BIRTHPLACE, 90 Elm Street, Woburn, Middlesex County. 1714. Benjamin Thompson, the name of the later Count Rumford, was the first native-born American to gain international recognition for his contributions to science when in 1798 he disproved the prevailing caloric theory of the nature of heat. May 15, 1975. DALY, REGINALD A, HOUSE, 23 Hawthorn Street, Cambridge, Middlesex County. 1880's. Home of 20th century Harvard geologist who investigated the entire spectrum of geology and who enjoyed an international reputation. January 7, 1976. 11 MASSACHUSETTS DAVIS, WILLIAM M., HOUSE, 17 Francis Avenue, Cambridge, Middlesex County. 1880's. Residence of outstanding Harvard geologist and geographer whose work in the late 19th century and early 20th on the forces that shape the earth established the discipline of geomorphology . January 7, 1976. DUBOIS, WILLIAM E. B., BOYHOOD HOMESITE, Route 23, Great Barrington, Berkshire County. 1868. Site of the boyhood home of the prominent black sociologist and writer who was a major figure in the Negro civil rights movement during the first half of the 20th century. May 1 1, 1976. FESSENDEN, REGINALD A., HOUSE, 45 Waban Hill Road, Newton, Middlesex County. 1919. Residence of the multifaceted inventor who was the first to broadcast the human voice and who made other major contributions to the development of radio. January 7 , 1976. LITTLE, ARTHUR D., INC., BUILDING, 30 Memorial Drive, Cambridge, Middlesex County. 1917. Arthur D. Little, Inc. is the first and most successful independent con- sulting laboratory, known for numerous contributions to science and engineering. December 8, 1976. LODGE, HENRY CABOT, RESIDENCE, 5 Cliff Street, Nahant, Essex County. 19th century. Residence (1850-1924) of one of the most influential congressional spokesmen on foreign affairs from 1887 to 1924. Advocate of the "large policy" — modernizing the navy, acquiring territories, and building the Panama Canal. December 8, 1976. MINOT, GEORGE R., HOUSE, 71 Sears Road, Brook- line, Middlesex County. 1920's. Home of the distinguished physiologist and co-winner of the Nobel Prize in medicine and physiology for his 1926 discovery that eating liver could cure pernicious anemia. January 7, 1976. NELL, WILLIAM C, RESIDENCE, 3 Smith Court, Boston, Suffolk County. Date unknown. Home of William C. Nell, from the 18 30s to the end of the Civil War a leading black abolitionist and spokesman for his race. May 11, 1976. RICHARDS, THEODORE W., HOUSE, 15 Follen Street, Cambridge, Middlesex County. 1900. Long-time home of Harvard chemist who in 1914 received the Nobel Prize in chemistry for his work in determining atomic weights and who is considered to have been the foremost experimental chemist of his time. January 7, 1976. THOMSON, ELIHU, HOUSE, 33 Elmwood Avenue, Swampscott, Essex County. 1890. Home and laboratory of a prolific inventor and one of the founders of the General Electric Company. January 7, 1976. 12 MASSACHUSETTS / MICHIGAN / MINNESOTA TROTTER, WILLIAM MONROE, HOUSE, 97 Sawyer Avenue, Suffolk County, c. 1890. Home of the noted black journalist and militant civil rights activist during the first decades of the 20th century. May 11, 1976. Michigan DOW, HERBERT H., HOUSE, 1038 West Main Street, Midland, Midland County. 1899. For many years home of the father of Dow Chemical Corporation and the inventor of highly successful methods for exploiting brine. May 11, 1976. PARKE-DAVIS RESEARCH LABORATORY, Foot of Joseph Campau at the River, Detroit, Wayne County. 1902. The first industrial research laboratory in the United States built for the specific purpose of conducting pharmacological research. May 1 1, 1976. Minnesota KELLOGG, FRANK B., HOUSE, 633 Fairmont Avenue, St. Paul, Ramsey County. Late 19th century. Secretary of State from 1925 to 1929, he negotiated the Kellogg- Briand Pact of 1928 for which he received the Nobel Peace Prize. Moved foreign policy away from interventionism. December 8, 1976. LINDBERGH, CHARLES A., SR., HOUSE, Morrison County Road 52, vicinity Little Falls, Morrison County. 1906-1907. Residence (1907-1920) of Congressman who was a reformer and independent. An agrarian progressive, he was prominent in protest politics — fought interventionism, and the eastern bankers. Home of his famous aviator son. December 8, 1976. NATIONAL FARMER'S BANK, Broadway and Cedar Streets, Owatonna, Steele County. 1907-1908. Probably the finest of the late, small midwestern banks by Louis Henry Sullivan. January 7, 1976. VOLSTEAD, ANDREW J., 163 Ninth Avenue, Granite Falls, Yellow Medicine County. 1878. Home (1894-1930) of the man who "personified prohibition." Drafted the 1919 National Prohibition Enforcement Act, known as the Volstead Act. December 8, 1976. 13 Mississippi LAMAR, LUCIUS Q. C, HOUSE, 616 N. 14th Street, Oxford, Lafayette County, c. 1860. Lamar was a leading Southern spokesman for reconciliation during Reconstruction. Exponent of Southern industrial progress and leader of the "New South" movement. May 15, 1975. MONTGOMERY, I. T., HOUSE, West Main Street, Mound Bayou, Bolivar County. 1910. Home of Isaiah Thornton Montgomery, who in 1887 founded the town of Mound Bayou as a place where black Americans could obtain social, political, and economic rights in a white supremacy South. May 11, 1976. OAKLAND MEMORIAL CHAPEL, Alcorn University, Alcorn, Claiborne County. 1838. Oldest and most venerable building on the Alcorn University cam- pus, Oakland Chapel symbolizes the importance of Alcorn as the first black land grant college in the United States. May 11, 1976. PEMBPERTONS HEADQUARTERS, 1018 Crawford Street, Vicksburg, Warren County. 1836. Headquarters of Confederate General ]ohn J. Pemberton during the 1863 siege of Vicksburg and place where the fateful decision to surrender was made. December 8, 1976. Missouri CLARK, "CHAMP/' HOUSE, 204 East Champ Clark Dr., Bowling Green, Pike County. 19th century. Residence (1899-1921) of one of the great Speakers of the House. In defeating Speaker Cannon in 1911 he recreated the position of Speaker, making it responsive and responsible. December 8, 1976. ERLANGER, JOSEPH, HOUSE, 5127 Waterman Boule- vard, St. Louis, St. Louis County. 1903. Home of one of the founders of American physiology in the first quarter of the 20th century who shared the 1944 Nobel Prize in medicine and physiology for his discovery of the electrical nature of the human nervous system. December 8, 1976. JOPLIN, SCOTT, RESIDENCE, 2685-A Morgan, St. Louis, St. Louis County. 1890's. The last surviving residence of Scott Joplin, the king of ragtime and one of the most creative black musicians of the late 1 9 th and early 20th centuries. December 8, 1976. MISSOURI BOTANICAL GARDEN, 2345 Tower Grove Avenue, St. Louis, St. Louis County. 1859. Oldest functioning botanical garden in the United Statesjong famous 14 MONTANA / NEBRASKA / NEW HAMPSHIRE for the quality of its flora displays and for the high quality of its botanical and horticultural research. December 8, 1976. PERSHING, GENERAL JOHN J., BOYHOOD HOME, Worlow and State Streets, Laclede, Linn County, c. 1858. General Pershing was a hero of World War 1 and architect of a new army. Organized the largest army in the U.S. history to that time; it turned the tide in 1918 and effected the armistice. May 11, 1976. Montana RANKIN RANCH, 30 mi. E. of Helena, Avalanche Gulch, Broadwater County. 1923. Residence of Jeanette Rankin (1 923-1956), first woman in the world ever elected to a national representative body. Elected to the House of Representatives in 1916. Best remembered for her pacifism, she played an important role in women's rights and social reform movements. May 11, 1976. WHEELER, BURTON K., HOUSE, 1232 E. Second Street, Butte, Silver Bow County, c. 1900. Montana home (1908-1923) of Senate radical during the 1920's and 1930's. First prominent Democrat to support F.D.R. for the Presidency, he later broke with Roosevelt over the court-packing plan and lend lease. December 8, 1976. Nebraska MORTON, J. STERLING, HOUSE, Centennial Ave- nue, Nebraska City, Otoe County. 1855, enlarged several times through 1903. Residence (1855-1902) of the founder of Arbor Day. As Secretary of Agriculture he introduced new areas of research. May 15, 1975. STATE CAPITOL, 1445 K Street, Lincoln, Lancaster County. 1922-1932. Designed by Bertram Goodhue as a "classical skyscraper," it is lavishly ornamented with sculpture. January 7, 1976. New Hampshire CHASE, SALMON P., BIRTHPLACE AND BOY- HOOD HOME, Route 12-A, Cornish, Sullivan County, c. 1790. Childhood home (1808-c. 1816) of the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, Senator and Secretary of the Treasury. Presided over the im- peachment trial of Andrew Johnson. May 15, 1975. 15 New Jersey ABBOTT FARM HISTORIC DISTRICT, Trenton, Mer- cer County, c. 500 B.C.-A.D. 500. Largest and richest known Middle Woodland village archeological site in the coastal Mid-Atlantic/New England region. In addition the interpretation of the data from Abbot Farm played a significant role in the development of archeology in this century. December 8, 1976. CAPE MAY HISTORIC DISTRICT, Southern end of Garden State Parkway, Cape May County. 1840's- 1920's. One of the largest collections (600 or more) of late 1 9th century sea- shore houses and hotels. May 11, 1976. FORTUNE, T. THOMAS, HOUSE, 94 West Bergen Place, Red Bank, Monmouth County. Date unknown. From 1901 to 1 91 5 the home of the crusading black journalist who in his newspapers articulated the cause of Negro rights at the turn of the 20th century. December 8, 1976. GREAT FALLS OF THE PASSAIC S.U.M. HISTORIC DISTRICT, Paterson, Passaic County. 1792-1912. Site of the first attempt in the United States to harness the entire power of a major river for industrial purposes. Remains include original raceway and later hydroelectric plant. May 11, 1976. LUCY, THE MARGATE ELEPHANT, Margate City, Atlantic County. 1881. Designed and patented by James V. Lafferty, the elephant-hotel is the last one extant of this type of architectural folly. May 11, 1976. OLD QUEENS, RUTGERS UNIVERSITY, Rutgers cam- pus, New Brunswick, Middlesex County. 1808-1809. Designed by John McComb, Jr., in the Federal style, this is the origi- nal college building. May 11, 1976. STANTON, ELIZABETH CADY, HOUSE, 135 High- wood Avenue, Tenafly, Bergen County, c. 1868. Residence (1868-1887) of early proponent, philosopher, and leader of the women's rights movement. Delivered the call for female suffrage at the Seneca Falls Convention of 1848. May 15, 1975. New Mexico VILLAGE OF COLUMBUS AND CAMP FURLONG, Columbus, Luna County. 1916-1917. Scene of "Pancho" Villa's attack on March 9, 1916, and assembly for Gen. John J. Pershing's reprisal action 300 miles into Mexico. May 15, 1975. 16 New York ARMOR-STINER HOUSE, 45 West Clinton Avenue, Irvington, Westchester County. 1859-1860, enlarged 1875-1876. Reflecting the theories of Orson Squire Fowler, it is the only fully-domed octagon residence in America. For many years the home of the author Carl Carmer. December 8, 1976. ARMSTRONG, EDWIN H., HOUSE, 1032 Warburton Avenue, Yonkers, Westchester County. 1902. Early home and laboratory of a major figure in the history of radio among whose inventions was frequency modulation, or FM broad- casting. January 7, 1976. ARMSTRONG, LOUIS, HOUSE, 3456 107th Street, Corona, Long Island, Queens County, c. 1900. For years the home of the famous jazz musician whose talents enter- tained millions throughout the world. May 11, 1976. BARTOW-PELL MANSION, Pelham Bay Park, Shore Road near Bartow Circle, Bronx, Bronx County. 1836- 1842. Greek Revival Federal house museum in the style of Minard Lafever. December 8, 1976. BAYARD-CONDICT BUILDING, 65-69 Bleeker Street, New York, Manhattan County. 1897-1899. One of the first skyscrapers in New York City, it is the only work by Louis Sullivan in the East except for the Prudential Building in Buf- falo. December 8, 1976. BELL TELEPHONE LABORATORIES, 463 West Street, New York City. 1898. From 1898 to 1966 the home of America's largest industrial re- search laboratory responsible for numerous contributions to pure science knowledge as well as pioneering work in telecommunication technology. May 15, 1975. BUNCHE, RALPH JOHNSON, HOUSE, 115-125 Grosvenor Road, Kew Gardens, Queens County. Date unknown. Home of the distinguished Afro-American diplomat and scholar who served as Undersecretary of the United Nations and who received the Nobel Peace Prize for his 1949 contribution to peace in the Middle East. May 11, 1976. CENTRAL SYNAGOGUE, 646-652 Lexington Avenue, New York, New York County. 1872, Henry Fernback. Gothic in plan, Moorish- Revival in detail, it is one of the best pre- served buildings in New York. May 15, 1975. CHRYSLER BUILDING, 405 Lexington Avenue, New 17 NEW YORK York, Manhattan County. 1928-1930, William Van Allen. Built for Walter Chrysler in "Style Moderne", the building illus- trates the machine age in architecture. December 8, 1976. CONKLING, ROSCOE, HOUSE, 3 Rutgers Park, Utica, Oneida County, c. 1824. New York home (c. 1863-88) of the Senator and political boss. Gained control of New York's Republican machine in 1870 and caused a bitter rift in the party for nearly a decade. May 15, 1975. COOK, WILL MARION, HOUSE, 221 West 138th Street, New York, New York County. 1891. Home of the early 20th century black composer whom "Duke" Elling- ton called, "Themasterof all masters of our people." May 11, 1976. DAKOTA APARTMENTS, 1 West 72nd Street, New York, Manhattan County. 1880-1884. One of the earliest large scale apartment houses, it was designed by Henry J. Hardenbergh, architect of the Plaza Hotel. December 8, 1976. DRAPER, JOHN W., HOUSE, Draper Park, 407 Broad- way, Hastings-on-Hudson, Westchester County, c. 1840. Well-known mid-1 9th century scientist who, in addition to signifi- cant contributions to physics and chemistry, also wrote important works in intellectual history. May 15, 1975. ELLINGTON, EDWARD KENNEDY "DUKE/' RESI- DENCE, 935 St. Nicholas Avenue, Apartment 4A, New York, New York County. Date unknown. Long-term residence of "Duke" Ellington, regarded by critics as the most creative Afro-American composer of the 20th century. May 1 1, 1976. FISH, HAMILTON, HOUSE, 21 Stuyvesant Street, New York City, New York County. 1804. Residence (1808-C.1838) of President Grant's Secretary of State. During his 8-year tenure managed an exceptional foreign policy, and added stability to a demoralized administration. May 15, 1975. GENERAL ELECTRIC RESEARCH LABORATORY, Schenectady, Schenectady County. 1900. Recognized as the first industrial research facility in the United States, the General Electric Research Laboratory since 1 900 has made major contributions to scientific knowledge, especially in the areas of physics and chemistry. May 15, 1975. GRAND CENTRAL TERMINAL, 71-105 East 42nd Street, New York, Manhattan County. 1902-1913, Warren and Wetmore, Reed and Stem. The greatest head station remaining in America, it is also a triumph of planning and engineering. December 8, 1976. HALL, JAMES, OFFICE, Lincoln Park, Albany, Albany County. 1852. 18 NEW YORK In this office, designed by Calbert Vaux and Andrew Jackson Down- ing, ]ames Hall conducted the geological research which made him one of the country's best known 19th century geologists. December 8, 1976. HAYNES, LEMUEL, HOUSE, Route 149, South Granville, Washington County. 1793. Later-day home of the first ordained black minister in the United States and the first black minister to a white congregation. May 15, 1975. HENSON, MATTHEW, RESIDENCE, Dunbar Apart- ments, 246 West 150th Street, New York County. 1928. Later-day home of the black explorer who served as an assistant to Robert E. Peary and whose best known achievements came in 1909 when be became the first man to reach the North Pole. May 15, 1975. JOHNSON, JAMES WELDON, RESIDENCE, 187 West 135th Street, New York, New York County, c. 1900. From 1915 to 1938 the home of the versatile black composer of popular songs, poet, writer, general secretary of the NAACP, and civil rights activist. May 11, 1976. LANGMUIR, IRVING, HOUSE, 1176 Stratford Road, Schenectady, Schenectady County. 1900. From 1919 to 1957 the home of distinguished General Electric chemist and inventor who received the 1934 Nobel Prize in chemistry for his work in surface kinetics. January 7, 1976. McKAY, CLAUDE, RESIDENCE, 180 West 135th Street, New York, New York County. 1931. From 1941 to 1 946 the residence of the black poet and writer often called the father of the "Harlem Renaissance." December 8, 1976. MILLS, FLORENCE, HOUSE, 220 West 135th Street, New York, New York County. 1886. Home of the popular black singer who in the 1920 's achieved stardom on Broadway and in Europe, thus becoming a symbol of success for black Americans. December 8, 1976. NEW YORK AMSTERDAM NEWS BUILDING, 2293 Seventh Avenue, New York, New York County. Date unknown. For years home of one of America's best known black newspapers, the pages of which have historically reflected the interests and concerns of black Americans. May 11, 1976. OLD NEW YORK COUNTY COURTHOUSE, 52 Chambers Street, New York, New York County. 1862-c. 1885. The Old New York County Courthouse symbolizes the Tweed Ring. It is a classic in the annals of American graft and corruption. A monument to the machinations of William Many "Boss" Tweed, who pocketed $9 million from its construction. May 11, 1976. 19 NEW YORK PRUDENTIAL (GUARANTY) BUILDING, Church and Pearl Streets, Buffalo, Erie County. 1895. The last collaborative effort of Dankmar Adler and Louis Sullivan; the Prudential is a triumph of early skyscraper design. May 15, 1975. ROBESON, PAUL, RESIDENCE, 555 Edgecomb Ave- nue, New York, New York County. 1916. Residence of the famous black actor and singer who in the 1 940's and 1950's suffered public condemnation for his political sympathies, but who was widely acclaimed for his artistic talents. December 8, 1976. ROBINSON, JOHN ROOSEVELT 'JACKIE/' HOUSE, 5224 Tilden Street, Brooklyn, Kings County, c. 1915. Home of the baseball player who in 1 947 became the first black to play in the major leagues, thus breaking the color barrier to full black participation in professional sports. May 11, 1976. ROCKEFELLER, JOHN D., ESTATE, Pocantico Hills, Westchester County. 1909. Estate of one of America's most famous and controversial magnates, who is best remembered for his organizational genius in industry and for the scale and organization of his philanthropic activities. May 1 1, 1976. SAILORS' SNUG HARBOR, Richmond Terrace, New Brighton, Staten Island, Richmond County, 1833-1895. Large Greek Revival complex for aged sailors. Early central block designed by Minard Lafever. December 8, 1976. SAINT GEORGES EPISCOPAL CHURCH, 3rd Ave- nue and East 1st Street, New York, New York County. 1856. Home church of Harry Thacker Burleigh, black composer, arranger, and singer, who helped establish the Negro spiritual as an integral part of American culture. December 8, 1976. SAINT PATRICK'S CATHEDRAL, Fifth Avenue between East 50th and East 51st Street, New York, Man- hattan County. 1858-1878, James Renwick, Jr. Climaxing Renwick 's career, the cathedral is the first large-scale Medieval church in America. December 8, 1976. TILDEN, SAMUEL J., HOUSE, 14-15 Gramercy Park South, New York, New York County, c. 1835, facade altered 1874. Occupied today by the National Arts Club, it was the residence (c. 1860-c. 1885) of the central figure in the disputed Tilden-Hayes election of 1876. An outstanding reformer, he defeated the Tweed Ring and the Canal Ring. Important Victorian-Gothic building. May 11, 1976. TRINITY CHURCH AND GRAVEYARD, Broadway at Wall Street, New York, Manhattan County. 1846. Oldest Episcopal church in New York City; designed by Richard Upjohn. Buried here are Alexander Hamilton, Robert Fulton, and William Bradford. December 8, 1976. 20 NEW YORK / NORTH CAROLINA / OHIO UNITED STATES CUSTOM HOUSE, Bowling Green, New York, New York County. 1900-1907, Cass Gilbert. Large Beaux Arts structure embellished with sculpture by Daniel Chester French, murals by Reginald Marsh. December 8, 1976. VILLA LEWARO, North Broadway, Greenburgh, West- chester County. 1918. Designed by the noted black architect Vertner Woodson Tandy for Madame C. J. Walker, successful cosmetics manufacturer, Villa Lewaro illustrates the achievements of Negroes in both architecture and business. May 11, 1976. North Carolina DANIELS, JOSEPHUS, HOUSE, 1520 Caswell Street, Raleigh, Wake County, c. 1920. A truly great Secretary of the Navy (1913-1921), he significantly reformed navy policies by introducing schooling for illiterate sailors, vocational training, opening the Naval Academy to enlisted men, and reforming the naval prison system. December 8, 1976. NORTH CAROLINA MUTUAL LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY, 114-116 West Parish Street, Durham, Durham County. 1921. Home office of the North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Company, a black-managed enterprise founded in 1898 which achieved finan- cial success in an age of Jim Crow. May 15, 1975. UNION TAVERN, Main Street, Milton, Caswell County, c. 1800. Workshop studio of Thomas Day, early 1 9th century free black cabi- net maker who achieved recognition for the superior quality of his craftsmanship. May 15, 1975. Ohio CLEVELAND ARCADE, 401 Euclid Avenue, Cleve- land, Cuyahoga County. 1888-1890, John Eisenman and George H. Smith. One of the few glass covered shopping areas in America — engineering marvel. May 15, 1975. KIRTLAND TEMPLE, 9020 Chillicothe Road, Kirt- land, Lake County. 1833-1838. A vernacular building with Federal and Gothic Revival elements built by the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. December 8, 1976. 21 OHIO / OKLAHOMA LANGSTON, JOHN MERCER, HOUSE, 207 East College Street, Oberlin, Lorain County. 1855. Home of the first black American elected to public office (1855). He later served the Freedman's Bureau, was first dean of the Howard Law School, and was minister to Haiti. May 15, 1975. McKINLEY, WILLIAM, TOMB, Westlawn Cemetery, Canton, Stark County. 1907. Resting place of the 25 th President of the United States. His election in 1894 began an era of Republican dominance and marked American expansion in the Caribbean and Far East. May 15, 1975. PLUM STREET TEMPLE (ISAAC M. WISE TEMPLE), Eighth and Plum Streets, Cincinnati, Hamilton County. 1865-1866. One of the best preserved Moorish-Revival buildings of the 1 9th cen- tury, designed by James Keys Wilson. May 15, 1975. RICKENBACKER, CAPTAIN EDWARD V., HOUSE, 1334 E. Livingston Avenue, Columbus, Franklin County, c. 1895. Residence (1895-1 922) of World War 1 flying ace. Flew in first ail- American combat mission. In six months shot down 26 German air- craft making himself the idol of a generation of American youth. May 11, 1976. TAFT MUSEUM, 316 Pike Street, Cincinnati, Hamil- ton County, c. 1820. Formerly the Charles P. Taft Home, the magnificent collections dis- played there now belong to the city. It is one of the earliest grand man- sions in Ohio. January 7, 1976. TYTUS, JOHN B., HOUSE, 300 South Main Street, Middletown, Butler County. 1868. Life-long home of the inventor of a practical hot, wide-strip, con- tinuous steel rolling process, which contributed significantly to the growth of the steel industry. May 11, 1976. Oklahoma BOLEY HISTORIC DISTRICT, Boley, Okfuskee County. 1903. Largest of the Negro towns established in Oklahoma to provide black Americans with the opportunity for self government in an era of white supremacy and segregation. May 15, 1975. 101 RANCH HISTORIC DISTRICT, Marland, Kay County. 1879. Large cattle ranch and home base of the 101 Wild West Show which featured Bill Pickett, well-known black cowboy who invented steer wrestling and who was elected to the Cowboy Hall of Fame. May 15, 1975. 22 Pennsylvania ACHESON, EDWARD G., HOUSE, 908 Main Street, Monongahela, Washington County. 1870's. Home and also the site where Acheson in 1891 invented carborun- dum, at the time the hardest known artificial substance and since then widely used in industry. May 11, 1976. ALLEGHENY COUNTY COURTHOUSE AND JAIL, Fifth, Grant, Ross, and Diamond Streets, Pittsburgh, Allegheny County. 1884-1888. One of H.H. Richardson's last works in the Romanesque Revival style, it is considered one of his outstanding works. May 11,1976. ATHENAEUM, 219 South 6th Street, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County. 1845-1847, John Notman. One of the first Italian palazzos that created a new style in America. December 8, 1976. CAMERON, SIMON, HOUSE, 219 South Front Street, Harrisburg, Dauphin County. 1764-1766, enlarged c. 1863. Residence (c. 1863-1889) of master "spoilsman" and Secretary of War under Lincoln. Built the model patronage system in Pennsyl- vania and installed the anti-reform Republican "Stalwarts" as the dominant faction in the party from 1872 to 1890. May 15, 1975. COPE, EDWARD D., HOUSE, 2102 Pine Street, Phila- delphia, Philadelphia County, c. 1880. Home of one of America's most prolific and creative 19th century geologists and paleontologists. May 15, 1975. DELAWARE CANAL, Parallels Delaware River from Easton to Bristol, Northampton and Bucks County. 1827. Approximately 60 miles of original canal that illustrates the canal building era in the history of American transportation. December 8, 1976. DUDLEY, CHARLES B., HOUSE, 802 Lexington Ave- nue, Altoona, Blair County. 1880 / s. Home of theY ale-trained chemist who in 1875 became the first scien- tist employed by industry and marked the beginning of industrial research and development. May 11, 1976. FAIRMOUNT WATER WORKS, East Bank of Schuykill River near Art Museum, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County. 1812-1822, Frederick Graff. The first municipal water works to use paddle wheels to pump water and the first to replace them by turbine engines. An architectural gem, the sculpture of William Rush enhanced the buildings. May 11, 1976. 23 PENNSYLVANIA FALLINGWATER, West of Pennsylvania Route 381 Mill Run, Fayette County. 1936, 1939. Sometimes called "The most famous modern house" it is a master- work of Frank Lloyd Wright. May 11, 1976. GEMEINHAUS-DE SCHWEINITZ, LEWIS DAVID, RESIDENCE, West Church Street, Bethlehem, Northampton County. 1733. Birthplace and later long-time home of a Moravian minister and naturalist who in the early 19th century made significant contribu- tions to botany. May 15, 1975. HARPER, FRANCES ELLEN WATKINS, HOUSE, 1006 Bainbridge Street, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County. Date unknown. Home of the black writer and social activist who participated in the 19th century abolitionist, Negro rights, woman's suffrage, and tem- perance movements. December 8, 1976. HARRISBURG STATION AND TRAINSHED, Aberdeen Street, Harrisburg, Dauphin County. 1885- 1887. The Harrisburg trainshed is one of the earliest extant examples of the Fink roof truss, a form of major significance in the history of American industrial building. December 8, 1976. HILL-KEITH-PHYSICK HOUSE, 321 South Fourth Street, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County. 1786. Home of Philip Syng Physick, late 18th and early 19th century Philadelphia physician who has been called the father of American surgery. January 7, 1976. MEMORIAL HALL, West Fairmount Park, Phila- delphia, Philadelphia County. 1876. The only large building remaining from the 1876 Centennial Exhibition; Herman Schwartzmann was the architect. December 8, 1976. PENNSYLVANIA ACADEMY OF THE FINE ARTS, Broad and Cherry Streets, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County. 1871-1876, Frank Furness and George Hewitt. The best preserved of Furness' exhuberani Victorian structures. May 15, 1975. PHILADELPHIA CITY HALL, Penn Square, Broad and Market Streets, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County. 1871-1881, John McArthur, Jr., and Thomas U. Walter. Largest and most elaborate city hall in America. Derived in style from Paris' New Louvre, the sculpture is by Alexander Milne Calder and assistants. December 8, 1976. PHILADELPHIA SAVINGS FUND SOCIETY BUILDING, 12 South 12th Street, Philadelphia, Phila- delphia County. 1932, George Howe and William Lescage. Philadelphia Savings Fund Society Building is the most important 24 PENNSYLVANIA / RHODE ISLAND skyscraper in America built between the time of the Chicago School and the International Style of the 1950' s. December 8, 1976. QUAY, MATTHEW S., HOUSE, 205 College Avenue, Beaver, Beaver County, c. 1865. Residence(c. 1 8 74-1 904) of prominent leader of Republican machine politics. Republican National Chairman in 1888, he organized and managed Benjamin Harrison's successful campaign. May 15, 1975. READING TERMINAL AND TRAINSHED, 1115-1141 Market Street, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County. 1891-1893. Largest single-span arched roof trainshed in the world; the work of Joseph M. Wilson and a monument in the history of civil engi- neering. December 8, 1976. SMITHFIELD STREET BRIDGE, Smithfield Street at the Monogahela River, Pittsburgh, Allegheny County. 1883-1889. One of the first steel truss bridges in the United States, the Smithfield Street Bridge is an important structure in the history of American civil engineering. May 11, 1976. TANNER, HENRY O., HOMESITE, 2903 West Diamond Street, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County. Date unknown. Boyhood home of the late 19th and early 20th century black ex- patriate painter whose work earned recognition in Europe and the United States. May 11, 1976. UNITED STATES NAVAL ASYLUM, Grays Ferry Ave- nue at 24th Street, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County. 1827-1833, addition 1844; William Strickland. Greek Revival in style, this structure was the first Naval Academy before Annapolis was established (1845). January 7, 1976. Rhode Island ALDRICH, NELSON W., HOUSE, 110 Benevolent Street, Providence, Providence County, c. 1821-1827. Residence (187 8-1 9 15) of Senate "boss" who maintained virtual veto power over legislation. Pressed his view that business and government should combine to lead the country. December 8, 1976. ARCADE, 130 Westminster Street and 65 Weyboseet Street, Providence, Providence County. 1827-1829. Designed by Russell Warren, this elegant Greek Revival commercial structure imitates European business arcades. May 11, 1976. 25 RHODE ISLAND / SOUTH CAROLINA BELLEVUE AVENUE HISTORIC DISTRICT, Bellevue Avenue from the Casino to Easton's Beach, Bailey's Beach, Coggeshall, Rovernsky, Bancroft, Ruggles, Bateman Avenues and Perry Street, Pope and Bowery, and Jones Street, Newport County. One of the most spectacular assemblages of American architecture from its beginning to the present. May 11, 1976. FORT ADAMS, Fort Adams Road at Harrison Avenue, Newport, Newport County. 1824-1857. Superlative illustration of American military engineering and tech- nology in the 19th century which demonstrates the defense recom- mendations of both Bernard and Endicott Boards. December 8, 1976. LIPPITT, GOVERNOR HENRY, HOUSE, 199 Hope Street, Providence, Providence County. 1862-1865, Henry Childs. A beautifully preserved Italian Villa built by the one-time Governor of Rhode Island. May 11, 1976. OCEAN DRIVE NEWPORT HISTORIC DISTRICT, Bellevue Avenue, Coggeshall, Ocean Avenue, Almy Pond, Ruggles and Carroll Avenues, Harrison and Hali- don Avenues, Chastelux and Wellington Avenues to the harbor, Newport County. Includes early farms and large summer homes as well as natural land- scape. May 11, 1976. South Carolina CHAPELLE ADMINISTRATION BUILDING, 1530 Harden Street, Columbia, Richland County. 1925. One of the finest works of John Anderson Lankford, a pioneer black architect who helped gain recognition for Afro-American architects among the architectural community. December 8, 1976. SOUTH CAROLINA STATE HOUSE, Capitol Square, Columbia, Richland County. 1851-1907. Fine example of neoclassical architure, it served a key role in the "com- promise of 1876" which signaled the end of military reconstruction of the South. May 11, 1976. VESEY, DENMARK, HOUSE, 56 Bull Street, Charles- ton, Charleston County, c. 1820. Residence of a free black Charleston carpenter whose 1822 plans for a slave insurrection illustrated Negro resistance to slavery. May 11, 1976. 16 Tennessee NASHVILLE UNION STATION AND TRAINSHED, 10th Avenue South at Broadway, Nashville, Davidson County. 1898-1900. Largest single-span, gable-roof trainshed in America structure, the Nashville trainshed represents the ultimate development of the first phase of trainshed construction and is a significant contribution to the evolution of modern building methods. December 8, 1976. RHEA COUNTY COURTHOUSE, Market Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenues, Dayton, Rhea County. 1890-1891. Scene of the controversial and widely publicized Scopes "Monkey" Trial in 1925. The trial represented a clash between fundamentalist and modernist thought in science, theology, philosophy, and politics. December 8, 1976. YORK, ALVIN CULLOM, FARM, U.S. 127 vicinity Pall Mall, Fentress County. 1922. Residence (1922-1949) of renowned hero of World War 1. Single- handedly killed 25 of the enemy, took 132 prisoners and destroyed 3 5 machine guns. Won the Congressional Medal of Honor and mag- nified his legend by refusing to capitalize on it. May 1 1, 1976. Texas EAST END HISTORIC DISTRICT, Broadway, Ball, 19th to 16th, Market Streets, Galveston, Galveston County. 1840 , s-1920 / s. A collection of 1 9th century residential structures including the ornate Bishop's Palace (1887-1893) by Nicholas J. Clayton, architect. May 11, 1976. FORT SAM HOUSTON, San Antonio, Bexar County. 1876. Army's principal supply base in the Southwest. Supplied the "Rough Riders" in 1898 and Pershing's Mexican campaign in 1916. Signal Corps' aviation section established here. May 15, 1975. GARNER, JOHN NANCE, HOUSE, 333 North Park Street, Uvalde, Uvalde County. Early 20th century. Residence (1920-57) of one of the most influential U.S. Represen- tatives from 1902 to 1932. As Speaker of the House he led coopera- tive efforts with Hoover to combat the depression. December 8, 1976. 17 TEXAS / UTAH HANGAR 9, Brooks Air Force Base, San Antonio, Bexar County. 1918. Only surviving hangar of the U.S. Army Signal Corps Aviation Sec- tion. Symbolizes the early army effort to create an effective air arm. December 8, 1976. RAYBURN, SAMUEL T., HOUSE, U.S. 82 vicinity Bonham, Fannin County. 1904. "Mr. Sam" was Speaker of the House>of Representatives for 1 7 years, twice the tenure of any other. His astute political sense preserved the delicate balance between the factions of the Democratic Party. May 11, 1976. STRAND HISTORIC DISTRICT, Avenue A, 20th Street, Avenue D, and Passenger Depot, Galveston, Galveston County, 1850's to 1900. A business district that developed from the port activities creating a group of 19th century commercial structures. May 11, 1976. U.S.S. TEXAS, San Jacinto Battleground State Park, 22 mi. east of Houston, Harris County. 1914. Only surviving warship of her class and only surviving battleship having reciprocating steam engines. Served in both World Wars and at the Normandy landing. December 8, 1976. Utah FORT DOUGLAS, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County. 1864-1931. Became the site of the occupation army situated to maintain Federal authority in the Mormon Territory inthe!860's. May 15, 1975. OLD CITY HALL, State Street, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County. 1864-1866. Municipal building and Utah Territorial Capitol until 1894. A focal point for the turbulent confrontation with Mormon Territorial government and reassertion of the primacy of the National Govern- ment. May 15, 1975. SMOOT, REED O., HOUSE, 183 East 100 South, Provo, Utah County. 1892. Residence (1892-1941) of Senator and staunch advocate of the protec- tive tariff. The Hawley-Smoot Tariff of 1930 raised import duties to an all-time high and invited economic retaliation by other nations thus aggravating the depression. December 8, 1976. 28 Virginia BANNEKER, BANJAMIN: SW-9 INTERMEDIATE BOUNDARY STONE, 18th and Van Buren Streets, Arlington, Arlington County. 1792. This boundary stone commemorates the accomplishments of Ben- jamin Banneker who helped survey the city of Washington, D.C., and who was perhaps the most famous black man in Colonial America. May 11, 1976. DREW, CHARLES RICHARD, HOUSE, 2505 First Street South, Arlington, Arlington County. Date unknown. From 19 20 to 1939 the home address of the noted black physician and teacher who is best remembered for his pioneer work in discovering means to preserve blood plasma. May 11, 1976. GLASS, CARTER, HOUSE, 605 Clay Street, Lynch- burg, Lynchburg County. 1827. Residence (1907-1923) of the most influential shaper of American financial policy in the 20th century. Author of Glass-Owen Act of 1913 establishing the Federal Reserve System. December 8, 1976. MAIN STREET STATION AND TRAINSHED, 1520 East Main Street, Richmond City. 1900-1901. The Main Street Station is an example of the Ecole des Beaux Arts influence on American building while the trainshed, one of the last gable-roofed trainsheds in America, is significant in the history of American engineering. December 8, 1976. MITCHELL, GENERAL WILLIAM "BILLY", HOUSE, State Route 626, 1/2 mi. S. of Middleburg, Loudoun County. 1826; wing 1925. Residence (1926-1936) of the dominant figure in American avia- tion from 1919 to World War U. Foresaw the strategic value of air power. Promulgation of his ideas ledtohiscourtmartial. December 8, 1976. WALKER, MAGGIE LENA, HOUSE, 110A, East Leigh Street, Richmond, c. 1909. In 1 903 Maggie Lena Walker, a black woman, founded the success- ful Saint Luke Penny Savings Bank, thus becoming the first woman to establish and head a bank. May 15, 1975. Washington FORT WORDEN, Cherry and W. Streets, Port Townsend, Jefferson County, c. 1885-1921. Fortification which illustrates the Endicott system of coastal defenses. An unaltered Endicott installation built on previously unfortified ground, making no concessions to older works. December 8, 1976. 29 West Virginia WHEELING SUSPENSION BRIDGE, 10th and Main Streets, Wheeling, Ohio County. 1849. Oldest major long-span suspension bridge in the world with a span of more than 1,000 feet, the Wheeling Suspension Bridge is possibly the Nation's most significant extant antebellum engineering structure. Its construction established American leadership in suspension bridge construction. May 15, 1975. Wisconsin ADMINISTRATION BUILDING AND RESEARCH TOWER, S.C. JOHNSON COMPANY, 1525 Howe Street, Racine, Racine County. 1936-1939, tower added 1947. One of the most original systems of cantilever-slab construction, it was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. January 7, 1976. BRADLEY HOUSE, 106 North Prospect Street, Madi- son, Dane County. 1909. Designed by Louis Sullivan and George Elmslie, one of two residences created by Sullivan (Babson House, Riverside, Illinois) just after his peak as a skyscraper architect. January 7, 1976. FARMERS' AND MERCHANTS' UNION BANK, Broadway and James Street, Columbus, Columbia County. 1919. Louis Sullivan designed entirely and also supervised construction of the bank. One of two Sullivan buildings in Wisconsin (Bradley House in Madison). January 7, 1976. TALIESIN, two miles south Spring Green, Wyoming Township, Iowa County. Complex built 1902-1938. The second great center of Frank Lloyd Wright's activity (after Oak Park), it is the summer home and studio of the Taliesin Fellowship. January 7, 1976. Wyoming FORT D. A. RUSSELL, Cheyenne, Laramie County. 1885, addition 1912. Strategically located on the transcontinental railroad, it was used to protect workers for the Union Pacific Railroad. Home of the Pawnee scout battalion in 1871. Participated in the Sioux War of 1876. May 15, 1975. 30 NPS 182 UNIUERSITY OF GEORGIA LIBRARIES National historic landmarks = I 29.2:L 23/4/supp. 3 ELDfl D 1*141 743E DATE DUE DEMCO 38-29 7 UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA 4 1977 UBHARiES DEPOSITORY As the Nation's principal conservation agency, the Department of the Interior has responsibility for most of our nationally owned public lands and natural resources. This includes fos- tering the wisest use of our land and water resources, pro- tecting our fish and wildlife, preserving the environmental and cultural values of our national parks and historical places, and providing for the enjoyment of life through outdoor recreation. The Department assesses our energy and mineral resources and works to assure that their development is in the best interests of all our people. The Department also has a major responsibility for American Indian reservation communities and for people who live in Island Territories under U.S. administration.